[solved] Cant get Deuligne kit for Ultimaker to work

[solved] Cant get Deuligne kit for Ultimaker to work

Message non lude chopmeister » Mar 13 Déc 2011 21:55

Hi guys,

I just connected everything as per instructions. I received my kit wit all the wiring already done as we agreed, I just soldered the loose wire on EXP2 to analog 0 on the Ultimaker PCB.

So when I upload the FW from alx/Marlin on Github, all I get is a screen without backlighting, and the upper row full of all black chars.

Nothing else works. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edit: I've reduced the problem to the LCD board. The SD card board initializes properly and detects there is a SD card inside.

The LCD backlight works when power is connected directly to the BKL1 and BKL2 leads on the bottom.
chopmeister

Re: Cant get Deuligne kit for Ultimaker to work

Message non lude Lionel » Mer 14 Déc 2011 09:55

Hi,

Would you please upload a picture of the LCD showing the black chars ?
I'm a bit surprised because, I've checked & validated LCD & SD on this board on our ultimaker with alx and its software before to send.
So i'll ask alx if something changed recently in its software dev and ask him to check.
I call him to join this conversation,
Image - Distributeur officiel Arduino - Conception de shields
Lionel

Message non lude chopmeister » Mer 14 Déc 2011 11:51

Hi,

I'll try to upload a photo as soon as I can. And, I don't think it's a software issue. It's definitely not something with the electronics on the UM, I tried to connect it directly to a spare Arduino Mega 2650 and got the same result. Then I noticed the PNG which says which pins go where in the FAQ and connected it that way, with the A4 and A5 going to digital 20 and 21 respectively. Again - the same result. When I try to connect power to the Deuligne directly it always looks like that, and in no case does it light up, except when I get power to the BLK1 and BLK2 as I said, which was to check if the screen works at all. I tried to upload some Deuligne examples to the board while connected to the spare Arduino but always the black screen is present and no activity happens.
chopmeister

Message non lude Lionel » Mer 14 Déc 2011 12:02

Hi,

Good way to investigate !
If you have a spare uno or duemilanove (you won't have to add jumper wires from A4 & A5 (deuligne) to D20 & D21 (arduino uno))
please check again with the deuligne library from github with the corresponding branch matching with your arduino GUI
upload an example
-> check the contrast potentiometer
and keep us in touch
Lionel

Message non lude chopmeister » Mer 14 Déc 2011 12:55

Hi,

Unfortunately no, I only have that one Arduino extra. I turned the contrast knob in every position whenever I tested anything. There wasn't any result. I have a multimeter, but I'm not all that knowledgeable with electronics. Is there a way to test the components on the Deuligne with that, to isolate the problem?

and heres the pic, sorry for the low quality

chopmeister

Message non lude alx » Mer 14 Déc 2011 14:46

Hi chopmeister,

I'm alx, the one who made the firmware hack to use Deuligne lcd.

I've read your issues, are you sure you use the deuligne branch from my git repository?

You might need to use a terminal (available on linux or osx, I've not used windows for a long time), and type these command to retrieve the code from the deuligne branch on my git repo:

Code: Tout sélectionner
git clone https://github.com/alx/Marlin/ marlin-deuligne
cd marlin-deuligne
git checkout deuligne

Tell me if you need some help configuring this under windows, you'll need to use TortoiseGit - http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ - to clone the git repository and checkout the deuligne branch.

Thanks for your help debugging the installation process :)

Alex
alx

Message non lude alx » Mer 14 Déc 2011 14:52

I've joined here an archive of my deuligne repository, so you can download it directly.

For me, it may be more difficult, but it's far more interesting to use git directly, because any commit could be send directly on ErikZalm Marlin firmware repository, for anybody to use, once it's stable enough :)
Fichiers joints
Marlin-deuligne.zip
Marlin deuligen firmware
(1.43 Mio) Téléchargé 282 fois
alx

Message non lude chopmeister » Mer 14 Déc 2011 15:12

Hey alx,

Yes I used your marlin from github, and uploaded via Arduino 22. I was using marlin beta 1 before so I was on 250000 baud then I realized your fork was the 9.3.3 version on 115200. I use pronterface to spool data to the printer so when I switched it to 115200 I can connect with the ultimaker and get info back about FW version and other stuff at which time I get a message SD init fail if there is no card inserted to Memoire and SD card ok when it is in there. So it seems the Memoire part of the kit works ok. I tried various stuff, even as I sad before, testing with Deuligne examples directly from a spare Arduino, but I think there is something wrong with the Deuligne unit electrically. Maybe the transistor or the IC is busted. I don't know. All I know is that it's totally unresponsive. I checked all the resistors and the capacitor with a multimeter and they all seem to work. Since I suck at electronics, I don't really know how to test if the IC and transistor work though. Could a cold solder somewhere be the issue maybe? Forgive me if that sounds dumb, but as I said, it's not my field, I'm just thinking aloud. :)

EDIT: Scratch all that. It works with the FW you sent me.

One thing I must say is that I don't know what I did wrong. This must be the 20th time I uploaded firmware to the UM and never with any problems. I usually download a .zip directly from Github. For some reason that seems not to work this time. But what the hell, this made me happy! Thanks a bunch. It would be good know why I cant download the FW directly from github as is the case with bkubicek's Marlin for example.

Once again thank you so much. I'll go play with it now. :D
chopmeister

Message non lude Lionel » Mer 14 Déc 2011 15:28

Ok,

glad everything is ok now, thank's alx !
And chopmeister, hope you'll enjoy our combo :)
Lionel

Re: [solved] Cant get Deuligne kit for Ultimaker to work

Message non lude alx » Mer 14 Déc 2011 15:36

Hi chopmeister,

good that everything is working :)

You can't download the firmware directly from github because it'll download you the master branch by default.

Branches are like differents folders, and because deuligne development seats in deuligne branch of my repository, you'll need to use git command line to access it.
alx

Re: [solved] Cant get Deuligne kit for Ultimaker to work

Message non lude chopmeister » Jeu 15 Déc 2011 10:24

I think I get the whole concept now... Kind of. :D
I tested all the functions and everything works! Thanks a lot guys!

p.s. alx I hope you solve the "does not name a type" error soon for the Marlin beta 1. That firmware rocks. :)

Chop
chopmeister

Retourner vers Support for Snootlab Products