Some comments on Deuligne

Some comments on Deuligne

Message non lude Nantonos » Mer 7 Nov 2012 05:48

I bought, and sucessfully assembled, this shield which worked first time. Here are my thoughts on it.

The good
  • Very clear assembly instructions
  • Complete kit of parts
  • Well made product at a good price
The not so good
  • Instructions don't mention the 100nF capacitor. Photos in the guide show it soldered in, though, so I soldered it as well. A missing step in the guide? Or an optional component that could be omitted?
  • Undocumented AN_JOY connection point and cut-through-able solder pad. Is that to disconnect the joystick?
  • Needless incompatibility with Arduino Mega2560. By adding the two extra shield pins from the Arduino R3 layout (SDA and SCL) next to AREF, the Mega could be supported also. There is room on the board. The only other change needed would be to move the 1.1 silkscreened number to the other side of the mounting hole :)
  • As I discovered when using this shield with a Teensy 2.0 (Arduino compatible) both GND pins need to be connected. Just one is not enough, the LCD doees not light up. This could be documented in the 'pins used' part of the FAQ.

Sorry to post in the English section; I can read French, but write it very badly.
Ecossais, donc Anglophone. Soyez gentil svp.
Nantonos

Re: Some comments on Deuligne

Message non lude Lionel » Mer 7 Nov 2012 07:53

Hi,

thank's for your feedback, it's important for products improvment

The not so good
  • Instructions don't mention the 100nF capacitor. Photos in the guide show it soldered in, though, so I soldered it as well. A missing step in the guide? Or an optional component that could be omitted?

• Missing step in the guide
  • Undocumented AN_JOY connection point and cut-through-able solder pad. Is that to disconnect the joystick?

• AN_JOY is the joystick analog output pad. Linked by design to A0, but you can cut the SMD solder jumper trace if you want to change it and put a strap between AN_JOY and the analog input you want use.
  • Needless incompatibility with Arduino Mega2560. By adding the two extra shield pins from the Arduino R3 layout (SDA and SCL) next to AREF, the Mega could be supported also. There is room on the board. The only other change needed would be to move the 1.1 silkscreened number to the other side of the mounting hole :)

• The R3 layout was not out when the Deuligne initial design was made. But next generation deuligne design will include this upgrade, it's ready on CAD...
  • As I discovered when using this shield with a Teensy 2.0 (Arduino compatible) both GND pins need to be connected. Just one is not enough, the LCD doees not light up. This could be documented in the 'pins used' part of the FAQ.

? Ok, thank's, I'll investigate
Image - Distributeur officiel Arduino - Conception de shields
Lionel

Retourner vers Support for Snootlab Products